2) to retain in the memory; keep in mind; remain aware of
3) to have (something) come into the mind again
July gave me a lot of treasured memories.
This month traveled to San Francisco to celebrate the 4th with my girls, visited with two sorority sisters who came in from out of town, watched as my best friend said yes to the dress, rooted for my Seahawks as they played softball, sailed with my family, and met the daily Seattle sunshine with a smile.
But my most treasured memory from July was the last hug that I gave to my family's precious little Jack Russell Terrier, Tally.
I remember when we first got Tally -- I was in sixth grade and could NOT WAIT to have a puppy. My oldest sister brought home the most adorable little girl, small enough to fit in my two palms. Tally loved to chase squirrels and hair ties (if you shot them rubber band style), lay like a frog with her landing gear out, and following Bridget where ever she went.
As Tally grew up she became a fighter, as she fought an autoimmune disease that she contracted at age five. Her disease was called Immune Mediated Hemolytic Annemia (IMHA), and was most likely contracted from a tick or other parasite. IMHA causes a dog's white blood cells to destroy its red blood cells, and generally has a 30% survival rate (when she was diagnosed her blood was the color of pink lemonade because she had very few red blood cells left). Tally underwent chemo (which, opposed to humans, causes dogs to retain all hair -- no shedding turned our Jack Russell into a Pomeranian), numerous blood draws to monitor cell counts, and a special diet (egg whites, yams, Cheerios, and the occasional lean meat). Tally not only "beat" IMHA, she lived eight more years.
When I gave Tally her last hug, I said "you get to be with Draven again, chasing squirrels in heaven". It's never easy to say goodbye to a dog, but I know all dogs go to heaven. I will treasure my time with our little lady and let the memories keep me company as I look back on our time with her and REMEMBER.
Match the topics below with the photos above!


No comments:
Post a Comment