Thursday, November 8, 2012

REVEL


1) to take great pleasure or delight 
2) to make merry; indulge in boisterous festivities

This evening I had some down time. As I sat in my room, flipping through pictures from the last month, I couldn't help but revel in some of the amazing memories I have recently created -- with two of my favorites from one very special weekend in mid-October.

This truly has got to be the good life. 

On Friday, October 12th, I had the opportunity to witness a historical musical event. I bought my pre-sale tickets for this concert the very MINUTE they went on sale in May and I could not contain my excitement throughout the following months. I had been waiting to see my favorite performer since I missed him at Bumbershoot in 2009. Little did I know that throughout the upcoming months, this favorite hip hop artist of mine would go from "Seattle Underground" to "Number 1 on iTunes Nation-Wide"! "The Heist" was SOLD-OUT at WAMU Theater... 7,000+ tickets were sold. Absolutely amazing! Macklemore and Ryan Lewis are a true testament to the art form of music. If you create something powerful, good, true, raw, and honest, people cannot help but listen, connect, and support. The night of the concert is one that will last in my memory forever. It may be true that I cried five times throughout the show but it was because I was completely moved by the whole experience. It was stunning to witness the humility with which Macklemore performed -- there were times when he simply stared at the crowd before him, in awe, as his fans sang every word of his songs back to him. Macklemore bared his soul to his hometown that night. Even now, the experience gives me chills and makes my eyes well. There is only one word to describe the event: epic. 

Photos (clockwise L to R) — 1: Outside WAMU Theater 2: Happy Birthday Michelle!
3: The Group 4: MACKLEMORE!

The next day Saturday, October 13th, I participated in Mothers Against Drunk Driving's Annual 5k "Walk Like MADD" Event to honor Bawny Brook McQuistin. This may sound neurotic, but I was beyond terrified to do this walk. The first time I participated in "Walk Like MADD" I had the the biggest team and I raised the most money (24 walkers and almost $4,000). The original event fell a few short months after the tragedy so it was still fresh in everyone's minds. I was so anxiety ridden because I didn't want there to be any less involvement than when I first participated five years ago. I was not ready to come to terms with the fact that people have distanced themselves from the loss after all this time. After some serious coaxing, crying and coaching from/with a friend I was reminded why this event is so important. It is not about the numbers, it is about progress, healing, and the cause itself. It is about being forward looking, not past dwelling. As I began talking to friends and family about the event, I was shown that there was nothing for me to be afraid of. Losing a best friend is not easy, everyone knows that. But not everyone knows the support I have been shown as I dealt with this tragedy. I would not be where I am today, five years of being without the smile I cherish, if it were not for my friends and family. Thank you to all of those who listened to my story, and donated time, money and energy. And although I have moved beyond the numbers and I have focused on the deeper importance of the event...you still may be wondering... so I will tell you: I was the top fundraiser and my team was ranked 4th highest in fundraising! Team Bawny has seen much success and I can only attribute the success to those in my support system. I cannot explain how cathartic this experience has been. The day of the event may have been overcast and cloudy, but my heart was warm and my soul smiling.

Photos (clockwise L to R) — 1: Top Walker Award and flowers from Bawny's family
2: Michelle and I ready to Walk 
3: Team Bawny 4: Award Ceremony

I hope that as this rainy fall continues, and the dark of the evenings creep in quicker with each dusk, that you have the chance to curl up in a blanket and take time to reflect on some wonderful moments you have created. And as you conjure up all the emotions, senses, and visions from the occasions, I hope you truly stop, enjoy the memory, and...
REVEL!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Shark face club forever!