2) to move with haste; act quickly
3) to depart quickly; take to flight; flee or escape
4) to make a quick trip or informal visit for a short stay at a place
If you recall, I briefly shared some of my New Year's resolutions back in January. One of my resolutions was to sign up for and run five 5k's. This sounded like a great prospect in January as 5k is a totally doable distance, but when April came and the first time I ran three miles was on my cruise...I knew this resolution was not panning out in the way I imagined.
See here's the thing, its not that I want to turn myself into a "runner", but I wanted to commit to running events in the future because then I would be forced to keep running in my work regimen routine. Its not like I think running is the worst thing in the world (because I know spin class is actually the worst thing in the world) but I don't thoroughly enjoy running the way I do my other workouts.
So what did I do kick this running funk?
Three things: 1) I made running work for me 2) I signed up for the Happiest 5k on the Planet and 3) I ran an 8k...
The first one sounds obvious -- but it didn't really click with me until two weeks before my first run. I needed to find ways to make running fun for me. I am not training for any crazy distance nor do I not struggle to run the 3 miles. I just dreaded the thought of running...non stop...for thirty minutes. BLECH. So I found a friend that loves running, found a route that I look forward to running and set a date (and maybe we had wine and watched a movie after, isn't that what post-run recovery is?) It is amazing how much happier I am when I run Greenlake with my girlfriend. Her love for running makes the workout actually enjoyable for me -- and by setting a date, I stick to it. Even though I don't love to run, I do love to keep my word.
Second -- I ran The Color Run. Now that I have run it, I know they aren't kidding -- this is truly the Happiest 5k on the Planet. This is also a great 5k for people like me who don't love running because all of the happiness around you completely distracts from the actual running part. Between the fun costumes, pump-up music, fun colored cornstarch color stations, and my best friend running beside me -- I didn't think twice about the three miles. If you ever have the chance to sign up for The Color Run -- DO IT (they sell out fast)! It is something everyone should do once, because its huge party! This kicked off the first of my five 5k's and I had a good taste in my mouth for what was to come (although not literally, because I literally had colored cornstarch in my mouth which did not taste good).
Now this third thing is probably going to make me sound a little crazy, "learn to like running by running more than you think you can". My crazy friend convinced me to sign up for "Beat the Bridge", which (turns out) is an 8k. Even if you knew how much I dreaded my 5k running dates, you wouldn't be able to imagine how much I was dreading this 8k. (Seriously, I tossed and turned the night before -- and I NEVER lose sleep over things). I knew I wouldn't pass out and I knew I could always walk if I need to, but the unknown of the extra two miles freaked me out. I probably can count on one hand how many times I have run more than 5k...and none of those times was recently.
Jump to race day and we are the next wave of runners -- my headphones are in, my crazy friend next to me, and there are butterflies in my stomach. We cross the start line and I keep my pace slow, tailing my friend. The more we run, the more "tailing my friend" turns into "losing my friend". Within the first mile he is out of my sight and I am running...ALONE.
This is were I started contemplating my demise. "I haven't gone too far I could just turn back", "I could just run the 5k portion and stop", etc. etc. But something in the deepest reaches of my heart wouldn't let me back down.
I may have run at a snail's pace, but I finished -- running alone. After my initial moment of panic, I found some slice of inner peace and it kept me going. Maybe my mind is getting strong from all of the bikram yoga, maybe what they say is true, "it gets easier after three miles" or maybe being stubborn came in handy for once? Whatever it was that kept me going, I am so thankful that it did because I sure am proud of myself. Finding you are capable of more than you thought is a super cool feeling.
These days, I have a much more positive attitude toward running. Although I do not have any plans for runs that are longer than 5k, I know longer distances are not out of the question for me. Thanks to everyone who helped me fall in "like" with running. I am excited to have The Electric Run, 7SAR, and Run like MADD on the calendar (maybe even the Seafair 5k?), as well as future running dates. I am pleased to be back on track with the original intent of my New Year's resolution -- to make time to RUN.
This is were I started contemplating my demise. "I haven't gone too far I could just turn back", "I could just run the 5k portion and stop", etc. etc. But something in the deepest reaches of my heart wouldn't let me back down.
I may have run at a snail's pace, but I finished -- running alone. After my initial moment of panic, I found some slice of inner peace and it kept me going. Maybe my mind is getting strong from all of the bikram yoga, maybe what they say is true, "it gets easier after three miles" or maybe being stubborn came in handy for once? Whatever it was that kept me going, I am so thankful that it did because I sure am proud of myself. Finding you are capable of more than you thought is a super cool feeling.
These days, I have a much more positive attitude toward running. Although I do not have any plans for runs that are longer than 5k, I know longer distances are not out of the question for me. Thanks to everyone who helped me fall in "like" with running. I am excited to have The Electric Run, 7SAR, and Run like MADD on the calendar (maybe even the Seafair 5k?), as well as future running dates. I am pleased to be back on track with the original intent of my New Year's resolution -- to make time to RUN.


No comments:
Post a Comment