Sunday, June 9, 2013

TRY

1) to attempt to do or accomplish
2) to test the effect or result of
3) to endeavor to evaluate by experiment or experience
4) to test the quality, value, fitness, accuracy, etc.

If May had a word dedicated to it, I would dedicate TRY. I made a concerted effort in May to try new things, try not to fall into my usual habits, and overall try to keep things simple/savor the moment (this year's theme!).

I will say I am pretty proud of all that I tried in May. Between trying my best in my 5k and 8k, trying out hot yoga sculpt (yes HOT yoga AND weights...so crazy, it's awesome), trying to help others by volunteering with March of Dimes, trying new plants in the garden and a green wall in the kitchen, I have found some new things that now I can't image living without. By trying new things I have pushed myself beyond my happy little comfort zone and into a new, better place. 

Most importantly, besides all of the external things I tried in May... internally, I really made a point to accept things that were trying. I tried to have grace with others around me, even when they flabbergast me. I tried to be patient with others, even when I was rushed. I tried to be accepting of circumstances, even when they deviated from the plan. I tried to turn interruptions into opportunities. Life happens, life is ever-changing and I will continuously encounter little "trying" situations everyday. By accepting trying situations for what they are, I will work to let them roll right off my back rather than get hung up on them. They say it takes approximately 21 days to form a habit, and my hope is that by focusing on this idea for the month of May -- that I have begun to form a positive change for myself. 

Take a visual look at my month below, maybe I will inspire you to give something new a TRY.


May photo challenge daily topics (L to R, top to bottom):
Day 1: "flowers" from the Tulip Festival
Day 2: "upside down"...Glamour did two issues in one!
Day 3: "song lyrics": "Baby will you be my Corona and lime?"
Day 4: "breakfast" -- Started off the day volunteering with March of Dimes (uh oh! this image seems to be missing. You can view it here!)
Day 5: trying out a "colorful" skirt
Day 6: "shoes"
Day 7: "transformation Tuesday" = new phone! (Trying a Samsung Galaxy SIII)
Day 8: "movie" -- I hope they do the book justice!
Day 9: "something new" = new office space!
Day 10: "outfit of the day"
BONUS: Accidental matching outfits at work
Day 11: "someone special"
Day 12: "kisses" at the Color Run
BONUS: The Happiest 5k on Earth
Day 13: "sky", it's trying not to rain!
Day 14: "something you miss"
Day 15: "celebrity crush": Richard Sherman 
Day 16: "pajamas"
Day 17: "sunglasses" in Mexico (trying not to miss it too much!)
BONUS: Visiting my coworker on bed rest. Remember, Ellie's mom?
Day 18: "drink": thai iced tea
BONUS: Trying out a sock bun!
BONUS: Trying out an 8k!
Day 19: Dirty "nails" from trying my hand at gardening
Day 20: "anchor"
Day 21: "smile"
Day 22: "phone case" -- trying something totally new!
Day 23: Trying "toaster filter" on Instagram
BONUS: A surprise! 200 blooms sent to my work, how romantic!
BONUS: Trying out banana bunkers! Seriously, check them out...
Day 24: "shoes"
Day 25: "in my bag" -- trying to keep it simple!
Day 26: trying to be "early" to church to serve
BONUS: Exotic car show...trying not to drool!
BONUS: Trying out blue nail polish on my tootsies
Day 27: "blue" eyes
BONUS: Trying my hand at home improvements -- introducing our new hanging vase!
Day 28: "collage"
Day 29: "quote"
Day 30: "black and white"
Day 31: "First Instagram Photo"

No comments: